Thursday, November 26, 2009

Dear Chase - don't change my terms

Since most of our extended family is out of town this year, we opted for a small scale traditional dinner at home for just the four of us. The kitchen is already cleaned up. DH is watching football, I've got the kids hooked on a Brady Bunch marathon, and I'm going through a stack of mail.

Lo and behold! A little flyer from Chase regarding an Important Change in Terms Notice. Remember this sweetheart of a deal? 15 months at ZERO interest, then a fixed 6.99% APR. Well, just as I anticipated now that we're getting close to the end of the ZERO rate, they are changing the account to a variable rate. Beginning in January when the zero rate runs out, it would be 8.99% but would follow any increases/decreases to the prime rate. I was a little surprised to actually be able to talk to a real person on Thanksgiving Day, but I did and immediately rejected the change in terms. Therefore, the account will be closed immediately. But I will be able to pay off the balance at the fixed 6.99% rate I signed up for.

Add to my list one more thing to be thankful for: The ability to pay off my past at relatively low rates without feeling like I'm being jerked around by the credit card companies.

No comments:

Post a Comment